Outside Magazine: Blog Feed

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

20 Cool Ideas... #6

Access to Rare Materials

As a girl who loves history and all things historical, I think the concept of using an app to access rare books is extrememly cool! Especially when it comes to rare books, I would imagine that there is an anormous amount of pressure /stress as to properly handling them, caring for them and more importantly, ensuring that patrons don't damage them. With the i-pad, and the continuing advancements in technology, putting rare books in digital content would be beneficial, stress relieving and even an incentive for people to learn more. I know I would be.

And this isn't limited to books! People could view artwork, artifacts, books, photographs, you name it! Does it necessarily have the same effect as to seeing the item in person? Absolutely not. But, with the way television screens are, digital images are so clear now, its as if you are seeing it live. But in ten years from now, children who have grown up with this technology won't be reflecting on the object itself. They can get the same experience when seen on the i-pad.

No comments:

Post a Comment